PADERBORN "Donkey 'Minting' Ducats" 1921 complete black set Notgeld Germany
I've (more or less) translated the Donkey note, definitely one of the 'greatest hits' of the Notgeld world. A lot of Notgeld is in the local dialect, it gives it a local flavor etc. In East Germany they used to use their dialects to communicate so the Russians couldn't understand them. In this case Paderborn is in Westfalen, which is characterized by a multiplicity of dialects, but not true Low German (Niederdeutsch). So it's first necessary to translate it into High German, for me at least, and often I have a hard time with dialects I don't know. But I'll give it a go, and this is probably not completely accurate:
First, the High German would probably be something like:
"Ein Esel, der Dukaten scheißt,
den haben wir Paderborner nicht.
Doch gibt es Esel genug in der Welt,
die unser Papiergeld kaufen."
So in English:
"An ass that shits ducats,
this we Paderborners don't have.
But there are enough asses in the world,
that buy our paper money."
More or less I think that's it!
- All notes guaranteed genuine. You will receive exactly the notes in the photos.
- US SHIPPING (USPS w/tracking) $2.50 for unlimited items; Free shipping on orders over $50.00
- Items may be returned within 7 days in original condition, buyer pays return shipping.
- International Shipping:
- $12.50: USPS First Class Package, unlimited shipping with tracking to Australia, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Hungary, Israel, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey
- $30.00: All Other Countries: Unlimited shipping with tracking
- Important notes regarding international shipping:
- Customs fees may arise when I ship directly, Ebay's Global Shipping Program rates often end up being much cheaper for countries like the UK with high customs fees.
- All Paypal/credit card orders require tracking/delivery confirmation. Shipping without tracking (plain envelope) at buyer's risk available only with international money order, Bitcoin or other major cryptocurrencies for $2.50 worldwide.
- I cannot mark items as gifts or otherwise falsify customs information.