ECKERNFÖRDE 1921 "Battle of Eckernförde, April 5, 1849" complete series Notgeld Germany
During the First Schleswig War, the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein declared their independence from Denmark in 1848. I also have for sale an incredibly rare 1848 1 Thaler note issued by the newly-created Schleswig-Holstein at the very moment of its independence.
The year 1848 was a year of revolution throughout Germany, revolutions which ended in disappointment. This First Schleswig War was no different, as Denmark would successfully put down the rebellious pro-German rebels, even though they were backed by Prussia.
This particular battle, however, was a victory for the forces of Schleswig-Holstein, largely due to the installation of two artillery batteries from Prussia along the coastline. When Denmark sent two ships to make a beachhead for invasion, the ships were hit by artillery fire and rendered inoperable, as depicted on the 1 Mark note. There were considerable casualties on the Danish side, with only a handful killed among the Schleswig-Holsteiners.
Nonetheless, after the Schleswig-Holstein commander Ludwig Theodor Preußer boarded one of the ships, the Christian VIII (named after the King of Denmark whose death had originally provided the spark that began the First Schleswig War in 1848), the ship blew up under unexplained circumstances, killing the officer who had played such a decisive role in the battle. This explosion is shown on the front of the 1 Mark note.
The other ship, the Gefion, was captured, rechristened the SMS Eckernförde, and put into service by the Prussian navy.
- All notes guaranteed genuine. You will receive exactly the notes in the photos.
- US SHIPPING (USPS w/tracking) $2.50 for unlimited items; Free shipping on orders over $50.00
- Items may be returned within 7 days in original condition, buyer pays return shipping.
- International Shipping:
- $12.50: USPS First Class Package, unlimited shipping with tracking to Australia, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Hungary, Israel, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey
- $30.00: All Other Countries: Unlimited shipping with tracking
- Important notes regarding international shipping:
- Customs fees may arise when I ship directly, Ebay's Global Shipping Program rates often end up being much cheaper for countries like the UK with high customs fees.
- All Paypal/credit card orders require tracking/delivery confirmation. Shipping without tracking (plain envelope) at buyer's risk available only with international money order, Bitcoin or other major cryptocurrencies for $2.50 worldwide.
- I cannot mark items as gifts or otherwise falsify customs information.