BAD HARZBURG 1921 complete series in RARE Robert Ball Envelope! German Notgeld
This set reminds me of that Moody Blues song, "The Other Side of Life" - because that's exactly what the two sides of the notes show! On one side, we see normal, everyday life: sitting in the park, horse races, fine dining. But on the other side, it's like the Freudian Id that lurks beneath the surface has come to life, with women dancing nude, horny goat-people frolicking, and satyrs galloping through the forest!
I've translated the captions from the "id" side of the notes as follows:
10 Pf: "Where once the Schrate [forest-dwelling demons of German folklore] would trotted, and refreshed themselves from cool springs, there bubbles still today the god Krodo's holy spring, making hearts glad and eyes bright."
20 Pf: "Once the elves danced in the moonlight, on Donar's [Donar is the Germanic word for Thor, god of thunder] meadow in ringed rows. Now there is, like a colorful bouquet, an illustrated guestbook on display."
50 Pf: "Under Harzburg's oaks you can find the Berliner lindens, beauty from all over the world. Where you're enchanted by Lady Music, the flirt of a beautiful woman, where in prehistoric times the forest Schratt and the sow refreshed themselves."
75 Pf: "Where the centaurs competed in races, where Kaiser Heinrich sat happily at Finkenherd, now too there is a most modern sport to see, and - if you're lucky - two hundred Marks for ten."
Robert Ball Nachf. in Berlin (the Nachf. stands for Nachfolger which means 'successors') is one of the big numismatic mail-order and auction houses of the 1920s, and they are one of just a few Notgeld dealers from the Notgeld era who actually printed their own envelopes with information about the set contained inside. Some are handwritten, others are typed or mimeographed, and some are even specially printed for the particular note or set that's inside. The envelopes have become quite rare, especially in excellent condition, much rarer than many of the original envelopes that accompanied the sets - to the point that trying to find any particular Robert Ball envelope is usually a lost cause. The company assigned their own catalog numbers to the notes, printed in the upper right-hand corner of each envelope.
CONDITION: notes AU/UNC, envelope is in exceptional condition, see photos
- All notes guaranteed genuine. You will receive exactly the notes in the photos.
- US SHIPPING (USPS w/tracking) $2.50 for unlimited items; Free shipping on orders over $50.00
- Items may be returned within 7 days in original condition, buyer pays return shipping.
- International Shipping:
- $12.50: USPS First Class Package, unlimited shipping with tracking to Australia, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Hungary, Israel, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey
- $30.00: All Other Countries: Unlimited shipping with tracking
- Important notes regarding international shipping:
- I cannot mark items as gifts or otherwise falsify customs information.