ARNSTADT 1921 "Political Caricatures" large complete set anti-semitic German Notgeld
Often this set is described as being anti-semitic, but there is really only one 10 Pfennig note out of 18 that invokes anti-semitism. Referring to a "breed" (Brut) of "usurers and profiteers" (Wucherer und Schieber), the note claims that in the past "they would have been put on the gallows," while today they "happily keep on profiteering". The codewords served a dual function of both libeling a racial group and affording the libeler a thin veneer of protection against any accusation that they were doing so, but there really can be no doubt that this particular note was referencing the prevalent anti-semitism that was brewing in post-WWI Germany and which forged the disturbing ideology of National Socialism.
CONDITION: AUNC+ to AU/UNC
- All notes guaranteed genuine. You will receive exactly the notes in the photos.
- US SHIPPING (USPS w/tracking) $2.50 for unlimited items; Free shipping on orders over $50.00
- Items may be returned within 7 days in original condition, buyer pays return shipping.
- International Shipping:
- $12.50: USPS First Class Package, unlimited shipping with tracking to Australia, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Hungary, Israel, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey
- $30.00: All Other Countries: Unlimited shipping with tracking
- Important notes regarding international shipping:
- I cannot mark items as gifts or otherwise falsify customs information.